I’ve recently joined a Connect group at HTB which is their version of small groups/ bible studies. But its HTB so its huge (some connect groups can be 80 people which is bigger then most churches!). I’m having a lot of fun. These people are definitely way cooler then me, but that can be expected from HTB, they are all lovely friendly, sociably beautiful and intelligent people. Its quite scary! But fun! And sometimes I even get invited to parties 😛 (Which is a big deal for anyone reading this and knows me from St Paul’s)
We were asked to write up a list of all the topics that we’d like to cover in the next term of connect groups and then say our top two. Now I’m not expecting many of my suggestions to be jumped on. As I said before this place is not meant for me and I think that applies to this connect group as much as HTB generally. However, it was really interesting because as I wrote down all these things I found that I actually meant what I wrote. These are a list of questions that I’d really like to have answered or thrash out alongside other questions. Most of the questions are things that really do excite me and quite a few of them are questions that could take quite a bit of time.
So I thought I’d put them here and maybe I’ll use some of the later.
- Learning to practically follow God 100% through our lives
- this is a phrase I hear a lot but its something I don’t see done that much and when people talk about it they usually talk about it in the context of silliness, like the people who ask God which tie to wear. The reason why it is silly is, I think, because actually it could be a sign of someone not listening to God but just going through the motions on every decisions they make rather then actually brining it to God. There may be times when God is speaking to you about your tie. But I’d bet considerable sums of money that if you’re someone who everyone is talking about how you make decisions of whether or not to cross the road or which tie to wear with God then probably thats what you have been talking about and probably you’re missing the point. Similarly I see people following God only on really big decisions. Personally I’d love to work out how to do this more effectively avoiding these two extremes. By “Work out” I don’t mean have the answer to, I think its something that is probably a bit of a process and Journey that would be greatly aided doing it alongside others who are doing the same.
- Practically how do I listen to God and act
- What does Song of Solomon have to say about romance?
- What does it mean to live with a kingdom focus?
- Why should I be excited by the kingdom of God?
- Why is God worthy of my worship?
- Ways that the God of this world that I feel/know and experience is the same as the God of the Bible.
- I think there are times when you read the bible and go “yeah I know that guy”. You see bits of his character shine through the text and its like you actually know personally this personality.
- Eg. Simple example: I feel that God loves me, how do I see that in the bible?
- Are the God of the Old testament and the New testament the same? Answer: Yes! Then where do we see this in the text. Places where God’s character shines through the stories themselves revealing his character despite the blood and gore in the old testament where he shows the same personality in the new. (Note: This is not focusing on messianic prophesies)
- Creative ways we can get more into Prayer
- Fasting? Why?
- Line- by -line The Lord’s Prayer and what we can learn from it.
- Where is the church going to go next?
- What is God doing that is new in the church?
- Does Church community matter? Why? Is it just about power hungry control freaks trying to rule over me?
- Why do so many churched christians burn out and how do we avoid it. Should we avoid it?
- How do we rest?
- Matthew 11 “28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – Is this real?
- Going Wife/Husband hunting in the church – The ethics of this
- Why is sex good in marriage? Why is it important to have sex? What is sex’s purpose?